Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Southern China

Southern China is very different than northern China, just like the USA. It’s much warmer here during the day and the people here are much more rural. They say southern Chinese are more friendly, but I think I felt more of a connection in Beijing. Maybe just because im a city girl or maybe because we haven’t had much opportunity to sit down and talk to the locals (they don’t speak English well anyway). My favorite part of southern china so far has been the trip to the Three Pagodas in Dali. It was uncomprehensibly peaceful there. The grounds were glowing with plant life and the chanting of monks could be heard throughout the whole compound. We spotted several reclusive monks walking quickly by, focused on their meditation beads. The saleswomen in Bai costumes smiled happily and sold beads, goldfish, and candles for prayers. Two walls were dedicated solely to wishes, you wrote your wish down and inserted it into a slit on the wall. Im not sure what happened to them after that, but I think the monks pray over them for you…or maybe it’s just a lucky thing. I don’t know. I wished for a sickly child I know to become healthy again. I really hope my wish comes true.
-Jessica Rijos

No comments: